Monday, September 5, 2011

My first education blog post!

Hi everyone, welcome to my very blog post focused on my interest in education and technology, particularly in the area of English Language Learners. I plan on exploring the many different uses of technology that are available. In my current role as Academic Coordinator at my language school, we are working to implement a distance learning element to our school so students from around the world can take part in our language training. While this is a big part of my focus, we still have regular classes taking place in which I would love to motivate and encourage our teachers to introduce more technology in the classrooms.

First up, I want to tell you a thing or two about what I'm doing right now with my work. Perhaps I can get some advice on how to deal with some of the difficulties that I'm facing. Maybe I'll just work out the problems on my own as I'm typing. Who knows, but I just want to share my experiences and hopefully we can all learn from each other.

Currently, I'm trying to get an online placement test up and running so that our students will be able to have their tests logged and scored almost instantaneously. Of course the written part will have to be graded, but the rest can be given as feedback almost right away. I would like to use moodle as a simple way to get things up and running because I'm familiar with their quiz function. The problem is that there are currently two factions within our school having difficulty deciding on what platform to use; Blackboard or Moodle. In my opinion moodle acts as a better LMS, but there are internal politics to consider. Question: Does anybody know of a quiz/test creation software that would be compliant with both platforms? I've looked at a few different ones, such as Hot Potato and Articulate, but I was wondering which one would be best for me to easily adapt to either LMS.

Thanks for reading and I expect to be writing more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment